Monday, December 2, 2013

Books to Give This Season: TAKEN by Erin Bowman

Okay, so I loved this book. I don't even think "love" is strong enough a word. I L-O-V-E-D this book! I bought it many months ago when it first came out, but I just read it recently.

The book in question? TAKEN by Erin Bowman. If you haven't read it yet, you need to get it, stat. And then you need to buy a copy for someone you love. Because there's nothing better than books for Christmas.


About TAKEN: Gray Weathersby has grown up expecting to disappear at midnight on his eighteenth birthday. They call it the Heist—and it happens to every boy in Claysoot. His only chance at escape is to climb the Wall that surrounds Claysoot. A climb no one has ever survived . . .

Why this book works for me:

1. Super unique concept. A closed society, with a wall that no one has ever made it over? That's full of mystery and intrigue right there. 


2. A main character to root for. I loved Gray, and his steadiness. I loved that he knew what he wanted -- not only a girl he loved, but a brother to save -- and that he went for it. He wasn't overly emotional, something I think sometimes happens to male narrators, and he had a perfect voice for the story.


3. The twists and turns. There's so much more to this book than what's listed in the description. There's the wall, yes. But that's just the beginning. There are secrets Gray doesn't know (no spoilers here!), and I thought the world-building was spot-on. The information was delivered to the reader at just the right time to keep the pages turning. And the set-up for FROZEN, the second book? Brilliant. 


4. The writing. I'm a fan of good writing, and while I can't really explain it, I know it when I see it. And TAKEN has it. I like smart verbs, and smart characters, and a swift plot. TAKEN delivered.

So if you're looking for a great read, pick up TAKEN.

What's on your holiday wish-list? What books are you giving this holiday season?

6 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

This is on my to-read list. Nice to know it should move up a few notches. lol

http://donnakweaver.com

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Yeah. You've totally convinced me. I'm going to nab this one for my daughter ... which, of course, I'll steal and probably read BEFORE I give it to her for Christmas. :)

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Leandra Wallace said...

I've heard lots of good stuff about Taken, and Erin seems like such a nice person. The books I bought for presents are all picture books for the kidlet and nephew. Which I loved picking out! =)

Angela Brown said...

This sounds like a wonderful book to read. Must check my TBR list because it may be on there.

Peggy Eddleman said...

This is easily one of my very favorite books of the year. It's incredible!!

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's a great choice. I really loved it!

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget