Friday, February 20, 2015

Knowing What Kind of Author You Want to Be

Okay, so I've been exploring some new genres. Things I've always liked to include in my books, but that haven't been the entire book. It has been exciting and bit daunting. So I've found myself doing what I did when I first started writing YA speculative fiction: researching and reading.

I've spent a lot of time researching the genre I'm interested in writing. And I've purchased scads of books and I'm reading them. I'm taking notes of what I see every author doing, of what I like, what I don't, and what "rules" there seem to be in this genre.

I'm talking to people I know who write in this genre. And I'm realizing that there is a wide range of what goes into this genre.

As I finished a book over the weekend, I realized that I needed to decide where I would fall along the broad scope of what's acceptable for this genre.

This was very eye-opening for me, and it helped focus my outlines and goals as I'm preparing to write. I think I'll be able to feel more confident about penning words in this new arena, now that I know what kind of author I want to be inside the genre.

Have you ever done this? Really focused on what kind of author you want to be? How did you do it?

8 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

No, sorry but I haven't. I've only written fantasy. One was high fantasy and my new one is urban fantasy. I am starting to read more genres to expand my horizon and am surprised at how much I enjoy it.

Artemis Grey said...

I know exactly what you're talking about and I've been there (am there, actually). The thing is, I just freaking love to write. Yes, it's almost aways going to be YA (the exception being memoir) but I'm not dead set on a particular sort of YA. I literally can't bear to limit myself. I got a huge agent response to my post apocalyptic/dystopian, but an equally strong response from my contemporary with flavors of romance.

In my case I don't want to writ only one kind of genre within the field of YA. Fantasy will always be close to my heart, and even my contemporaries will always have a fantastical or magical element to them. But I don't want to be funneled into only one genre.

Artemis Grey said...

I know exactly what you're talking about and I've been there (am there, actually). The thing is, I just freaking love to write. Yes, it's almost aways going to be YA (the exception being memoir) but I'm not dead set on a particular sort of YA. I literally can't bear to limit myself. I got a huge agent response to my post apocalyptic/dystopian, but an equally strong response from my contemporary with flavors of romance.

In my case I don't want to writ only one kind of genre within the field of YA. Fantasy will always be close to my heart, and even my contemporaries will always have a fantastical or magical element to them. But I don't want to be funneled into only one genre.

Anonymous said...

I had read many in my genre before I started writing mine. When I was busy in the writing I would read other genres actually. I needed a break at times. :)

Adam Johnson said...

What kind of sycophant do you WANT me to be?

Angela Brown said...

I guess the closest thing I've done is ask myself what do I want to write? Do I want to stick with just one genre/subgenere? Do I want to try my hand at something different?

And when I thought it through, I realized I could only tell the stories that wanted to be told, the way the characters let them out.

DMS said...

Currently I write MG fiction, so I spend a lot of time reading books in this genre. I also try to connect with authors who write MG. Sounds like you are doing all the things you need to do to start writing a new genre. :) Best of luck!
~Jess

DL Hammons said...

I guess my answer would be the simple and straightforward one - a published one! I'll write the genre that elicits a positive response from my readers, and that's what its all about for me anyway. :)

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget