Thursday, March 5, 2015

Life Lessons from College Basketball

Okay, so we watch our fair share of sports here in the Johnson household. I mean, gotta have a mix with all the reality TV and Food Network, not to mention the HGTV remodels.

Football, baseball, basketball. All of the above. And we like college basketball, namely the BYU Cougars. This past weekend, BYU was playing Gonzaga on their home court. They had a 22-game winning streak at home, and were ranked #3 in the nation.

BYU won 73-70.

Now, I don't really care who wins as much as my husband. I mean, I'm glad if they do, but I won't die if they don't. It's not like Survivor or anything. *wink*

But BYU won, and the interview afterward I found some inspiration for writing, and for pretty much anything in life.

Here's one article in Sports Illustrated. And one in The Deseret News.


BYU's Kyle Collinsworth, left, and Gonzaga's Kyle Wiltjer go after a loose ball during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game, Saturday, Feb. 28, 2015, in Spokane, Wash. (AP Photo/Young Kwak)


Kyle Collinsworth is a junior guard, and scored 20 points in Saturday's game. In his interview, he said, "We didn’t play that well offensively. We missed a lot of shots and had key turnovers... But we just stuck with it and battled all 40 minutes."

I think that's AWESOME.

Even if we're doing very well in something, we can stick with it and battle through until the end. Sometimes that's 40 minutes, and sometimes that's 4 months, or 4 years, or longer.

He went on to say, "I tried to do everything I could to get that ball and put it back in."

I LOVE THAT.

He isn't a magician. And he doesn't have a magic formula for success. He works hard. Obviously, the team practices, and he practices, and he puts in the time to be in good physical shape, etc.

But he's not a wizard. All he does is do everything he can to get the ball and put it in the basket.

I think that's great advice for anyone who's working toward a goal, be it a weight-loss goal, a writing goal, or increasing your ACT score. It works for almost anything in life!

Do everything you can to get better and take the next shot.

Seen or read anything inspirational lately?

No comments:

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget